The report in short:
- Turnover of Swedish game developers increased by 39 percent to EUR 1.3 billion in 2015. A 100 percent increase in two years.
- The majority of the companies are profitable and the industry has reported a total profit for eight years running.
- Employment increased by 18 percent, or 549 full-time positions, to a total of 3,666 employees.
- The compound annual growth rate (CAGR) in the period 2006-2015 is 39 percent.
- The number of companies increased by 10 percent, now totaling 234 game developers.
- The total value, including acquisitions (counting King), of Swedish game developers was over EUR 6 billion in 2015.
Read the English version here
Swedish game development is a growth industry; more than half of the companies were registered after 2010. The games are launched directly in an international marketplace. The biggest companies are multicultural and it is not unusual for them to have employees representing over 30 different nationalities.
Swedish game developers are characterized by diversity and quality. Sweden has world-leading developers within AAA, digital distribution, mobile games and specialized middleware. Everything points to continued growth for Swedish game development in 2015. The biggest challenges are questions surrounding access to capital, access to competence and laws and regulations around digital markets that are out of step with the development of the market.
About Game Developer Index
Game Developer Index analyzes Swedish game developers' activities and international industry trends of the past year by compiling key figures from the respective companies' annual reports. Swedish game development is an export industry and acts on a highly globalized market.
Per Strömbäck, Spokesperson
0708 436 214
Image: Clustertruck, Landfall Games